The Mother Teresa Fellowship is an early-career programme that supports selected, high-potential Ashoka University graduates working full-time in the social impact sector. Started in 2012 as a scholarship initiative, the programme currently provides mentorship, capacity building, networking and community building support, in addition to a financial stipend for Fellows earning below Rs. 40,000 per month.
MTF is a values-based programme that aspires to lay the foundation of future leaders who have a nuanced understanding of the confluence between social impact, society and self. The programme’s support structure facilitates a transformative journey that pushes Fellows beyond their physical, emotional and mental boundaries. It aims to build and harnesses innate resilience and strength to tackle complex and difficult situations head on. Thought-provoking dialogue triggers meaningful and inspiring action, and forms the crux of the MTF nurturing process. Our goal is not to create a uniform set of “social impact leaders,” but offer each Fellow the tools to ask what leadership means to them and how they want to go engage with the depth of their potential.
The Fellowship is open to alumni and students graduating from the Young India Fellowship, MLS, MA, Ashoka Scholars Programme, and Undergraduate degree.
The MTF is a rigorous programme that is as much about personal growth as it is about social impact.
The following values lie at the core of MTF and everyone who is associated with it:
- Integrity: Integrity to engage with cause and community with unflinching dedication.
- Empathy: Empathy to widen horizons beyond preconceived understanding.
- Perseverance: Perseverance to shape efforts with a commitment to excellence.
- Reflection: Reflection to dig deep for internal source of strength.
- Sensitivity: Sensitivity to identify nuances that are riddled with complexity.
- Action-orientedness: The willingness to amalgamate knowledge and skills towards constructive action.
- Humility: Humility to accept the wealth of knowledge that exists in our professional and personal ambiences.
This 18-month programme starts with a 2-week orientation in July, followed by three workshops at six-month intervals until December 31 of the subsequent year.
Please note that attendance at all four forums for the entire duration is mandatory. MTF will liaise with the fellow’s employers to highlight the core tenets of the programme and why attendance is mandatory to reap its full benefits, not only for the fellows but also for their participating organisation.
In addition to the orientation and workshop, MTF provides Fellows with the following support mechanisms:
- At least one support visit from the MTF Programme Manager
- Monthly calls with the Programme Manager, tracking personal and professional growth
- MTF alumnus mentor from the alumni pool
- Sector veteran as a mentor after the first six months of the Fellowship
- Financial Support – A stipend up to Rs. 20,000 for fellows earning less than Rs. 40,000 per month.
Please note: You do not have to require financial support to apply for MTF; the programme is also open to applicants earning above Rs. 40,000 per month.